Under the current rule, Jammu and Kashmir saw a lot of positive changes such as block-level elections being held for the first time, the Centre told regional parties at their meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday, sources informed CNN-News18.
According to the sources, here is what the Centre said:
• Block level elections were held for the first time in J&K history.
• New level of grassroots democracy through district development councils was created.
• DDC elections turn out was 51% higher than panchayats and Lok Sabha polls.
• Out of the 4,483 sarpanches in duty, 3,650 are elected.
• Over Rs 3,000 crore-worth financial powers was handed over to panchayats.
• The Centre told the parties that youngsters want employment. It asked them to focus on the initiatives of Skill India.
• Vaccination drive was very smooth in J&K.
• The Centre’s focus has been on how smoothly democracy can be restored.
• Centre’s focus is on developmental aspect of people of the valley.