Fruit Cake or Plum cake which is made the traditional way with rum and caramel. This fruit cake is one of my favorite and it turns out to be so moist.
Even though I have three variation of plum cake recipe in my blog. My viewers have been asking for the traditional fruit cake which has rum in it. So i decided to bake it this year and share it. I made it couple days back and i am telling you it turned out to be super yummy and loved it to the core.
When I baked this, the house was filled with the aroma of the rich dry fruits and it was totally heavenly. Loved it so much i couldn’t resist smelling it.
Dried Fruits Used for Fruit Cake
I soaked the dry fruits for 2 days, by which time the fruits soaked up the rum and was beautifully soft and plumped up.
Dates – 1 cup chopped finely
Apricot – ½ cup chopped finely
Prunes – ½ cup chopped finely
Cherries – ½ cup chopped finely
Kishmish / Sultanas -½ cup
Raisans / Black Currants – 1 cup
Nuts – 1 cup chopped finely (cashew, walnuts, almonds, pista)
Dark Rum – 1 cup
All Purpose Flour / Maida – 2 tblspn for tossing dry fruits
These many days I thought that the plum cake which is sold in shops has cocoa powder in it from the dark colour. But recently I discovered that the colour comes from the dark caramel and not from the cocoa. Making the caramel is crucial, because it can get burned quite easily and the cake colour depends on it.
How to Make Caramel for Fruit Cake
Sugar – ½ cup
Water – ¼ cup
Take sugar in a sauce pan and heat it on low heat. Now it will start to crystalize. Keep stiring and it will slowly start to melt. Keep heating on low heat till it gets nice dark colour. Now take it off the heat and add in water and heat till the sugar dissolves again. Set aside to cool.
Rum in Fruit Cake
- I didn’t add any nuts in this cake, but you can add any nuts of your choice. Just add it along with the dry fruits and soak it together.
- I added 1 cup of dark rum, you can increase it or decrease as you like.
- If you don’t want to use rum, just soak the dry fruits in orange juice.
- You can even pour hot water over it and leave it for 30 mins then use that as well. This way you can make this instantly.
This cake was so yummy and soft. Hope you will try this out and let me know how it turns out.
How to Make Fruit Cake
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C.
- Start by soaking dry fruits in rum for a day. I did it for 2 days. By this time the fruits will absorb the rum completely.
- Take two baking pan and line it with parchment paper, butter the sides and bottom of the pan and set aside.
- Take sugar in a sauce pan and heat it on low heat. Now it will start to crystalize. Keep stiring and it will slowly start to melt. Keep heating on low heat till it gets nice dark colour. Now take it off the heat and add in water and heat till the sugar dissolves again. Set aside to cool.
- Take dry fruits in a bowl and toss it with 2 tblspn of flour. Set aside.
- Sieve flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, spice powders and set aside.
- Take butter, sugar, vanilla in a bowl and beat using a electric beater till it is creamy.
- Add in 2 eggs first and beat till creamy. Add 3 eggs and beat again till creamy.
- Now add in half of the flour mix and half of the caramel. Fold gently.
- Now add remaining flour and remaining caramel and fold again.
- Add in dry fruit mix and fold gently.
- Pour this in the prepared pan and bake for 40 to 45 mins.
- Remove it and let it cool. Now invert it and peel off the parchment.
- Slice and serve.
If you have any questions not covered in this post and if you need help, leave me a comment or mail me @[email protected] and I’ll help as soon as I can.
IF YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE OR ANYTHING FROM YUMMY TUMMY, MAKE SURE TO POST IT AND TAG ME SO I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR CREATIONS!! #YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI AND @YUMMYTUMMYAARTHI ON INSTAGRAM!
Fruit Cake Recipe | Kerala Plum Cake | Rum Fruit Cake
Delicious fruit cake made the traditional way with the addition of caramel and dark rum. This fruit cake turned out soft christmas fruit cake.
Prevent your screen from going dark
Fruit Cake Step by Step Pictures
|take it off the stove and add water in it..First the syrup will crystalize, when you keep heating it will melt again|